Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A Study in Job ~ Personal Reflection 1

Is it possible to love God for God's sake, and not merely for the benefits of being faithful, even when there are benefits?  What if these benefits are all removed and one is left with no benefit but God alone?

Though I am certain that I have not yet reached this point in my faith journey, I have to believe it is possible.  People who are not raised in faith, or who turn away down the road, oftentimes need to sink in the muck and the mire at the rock bottom of their lives to turn to God for what they will get out of the relationship.  Even those raised in faith are essentially bribed with the benefits of serving the Lord.  A person could live a completely selfless, God-centered life with the self-centered underlying intent of his own eternal reward.

Yet, personal experience leans toward the possibility of loving for loving's sake.  I have warred with both of my siblings over the years.  At points, neither of them have been people I would have willingly invited to share my life.  I have not liked them, harbored anger and animosity toward them, but I have always loved them, for no other reason than they are my siblings.  In this way, I believe it is possible to love God simply because He is God.  The benefits then become icing on the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment