Tuesday, October 16, 2012

A Walk in the Park

I don't have a lot, but I give what I've got.  Money is usually tight, but we give when and what we can.  I have the same number of hours in my day as everyone else (though I wish I could figure out how to extend that) so I gladly give the time I've got.  My hair grows like a weed and is thick as a horse's tail (that's not bragging, it's truth) and I grow it long to give it for wigs.  I have the same amount of blood coursing through my veins as the average healthy adult so, seeing as there always seems to be a shortage, I give a pint of B+ between tattoo parties.  Unfortunately, that last one seems to be causing me some problems.

When I was a teenager suffering my first of many bouts of depression, it was suspected that I also had chronic fatigue syndrome.  Because the fatigue improved as the depression did, I was told that it was circumstantial, but that I would probably likely deal with circumstantial cases of chronic fatigue all of my life.  Thus seems to be the case.  Severe suicidal PPD brought along its buddy chronic fatigue.  Prolonged bronchitis decided that it alone wasn't enough to do me in, so fatigue settled in along with it.  Burn out and fatigue to hand-in-hand anyway, but when it's the chronic variety one is truly worthless.

Over the last couple of years, the Red Cross has updated their pre-donation reading material to include a full-page disclaimer against donating if you are diagnosed with CFS (chronic fatigue syndrome).  What the disclaimer does not state is whether this is due the possible side-effects to the donor or to the recipient.  Since I don't have an "official" CFS diagnosis, I donate anyway as long as I feel healthy and well enough to do so ~ and my most recent ink has healed.

A few days ago, I gave blood for the first time in over a year ~ tattoos and lack of opportunity being the hold-up.  When I donated last year, I was still in recovery mode from a separated shoulder, so I wasn't doing too much strenuous physical activity.  I felt tired for a few days, but noting noteworthy.  This year, I am training for a 10K, so running is a part of my weekly schedule.  In times past, when I've donated and tried to run a day or 2 later things did not turn out well.  I usually felt like I was going to pass-out very early into the run.  Remembering this, I took a couple of days off from running after I gave blood.  Apparently, 3 days was not enough.

My girly dr is almost on the opposite side of town from which I live, but since I only go once a year (ordinarily) I don't mind the commute.  I frequently spend longer getting there than I do in the office.  After the appointment, I had time to kill and went to a nearby park to run my planned 4 miles.  I got through 1.5, panting and gasping most of the way.  I tried to push myself through, determined to at least finish the loop I was on, but that was all the farther my body would go.  Embarrassed by my lack of success, I power-walked the rest of the way to the parking lot, all the while thinking, "Obviously, my body needs every oxygen carrying red blood cell it has ever produced to keep me from getting winded." 

I was bummed, to be sure, but not disappointed in myself.  I am in my mid-30's, after all, and may very well need to be officially diagnosed with CFS.  But I now know that I should probably allot 5-7 days to fully recoup after giving blood before I push my body the high aerobic levels.

It wasn't a total loss, though.  Since the run was cut short, I still had time to kill before class, so I did yoga in the park.  I must say, practicing yoga in athletic shoes on the uneven ground of a park in the wind is far more challenging than yoga on a mat or carpeting over a nice level floor in the living room, but also far more relaxing, centering, and serene.  I got to meet a wonderful dog named Molly and her very social, and sweet, owners for a pleasant chat ~ an opportunity I would have missed had I been able to keep running.  And I made it to school with time to check out the athletic center, which I anticipate the need to become acquainted with as the days get shorter and colder.  I discovered that they have several treadmills and no time limits on use - BONUS!

No comments:

Post a Comment