Monday, June 13, 2011

"My Name is Legion"

Then Jesus asked him, “What is your name?”
“My name is Legion,” he replied, “for we are many.”  Mark 5:9

When I finally emerged from the bathroom, I was more drained than before ~ and yet less burdened.  I knew beyond doubt that I was under spiritual attack and that this was by no means over.  Josh asked if I felt better.  Well, I'd said, in order to answer that question, I'd have to make a confession.  I finally told Josh what I had done regarding my meds and my experience in the bath.  I felt improved, to be sure, but by no means well.

I went and lay on the couch beside Josh, and though I wanted to keep talking through what I was experiencing, he told me to be still (something I don't do well, hence the tattoo reminder.)  As we lay there on the couch in the rec room Josh started praying over me.  He has done this before when I have had particularly disturbing nightmares, and I'd felt a definite release, like a weight lifting off of my body.  This experience was slightly different.  There are no words to describe what was going on in and around me.  I could feel the conflict within, and though my body felt again like a lead weight, I could feel Josh quivering, his hands shaking as they scanned my body.  I could hear faint mutterings and knew he was praying in tongues ~ only the 2nd time I'd ever heard him do this.  The pattern resumed ~ the darkness welling up in me and the light crashing in.  Over and over again.  At last, there was a peace.  The muscles in my neck went limp and my head rolled, my body sinking into the cushions of the couch.  I have no idea how long Josh prayed over me, but I do know that the effort drained him to the point of feeling sick.  When I voiced feeling beaten down, Josh reminded me that my body had just been a battlefield.

In hindsight, I wondered just how many attackers surrounded me.  It was as if each onset of darkness was its own entity, and the light of the Lord had to individually conquer every one.  I was reminded of the New Test story of the man who lived among the tombs of the Gerasenes, raving mad, so strong that he could not be bound, and cutting his body with stones.  When Jesus arrived, the demons inside of the man begged Christ not to torment them.  Jesus asked the demons' name and they replied, "My name is Legion, for we are many."

Could I have had my own Legion?  Josh reminded me that as a believer the Spirit would not allow me to be possessed.  OK.  Is Legion's only purpose possession?  Is it possible for Legion to attack and torment with out possessing?  I think so, since I continue this battle, every day defeating another "Legion".

No comments:

Post a Comment