Monday, June 18, 2012

Intro to Self ~ A Potential Essay Assignment

The following is a potential essay assignment posted for constructive critical review.  We are asked to describe ourselves as readers/writers.  Please comment if there are any language or grammatical errors, or, if you know me well enough, any suggestions.  Yes, this is for a college English course and my OCD is taking over.




Ariel Boyer:  Author and Random Book Enthusiast

I am a schizophrenic reader.  Topics of interest are often inconsistent and based solely on the mood of the day.  At times, the entire focus of reading is for the gain of knowledge, such as when my son was diagnosed with an obscure endocrine condition and I researched as much information as was available.   When reading is for pleasure, I cover a broad spectrum, from Dan Brown to Janet Evanovich, Christianity to Buddhism, irreverent fiction to snarky autobiographies.  In the last year, my book list has included “Pagan Christianity”, “Arguing with Myselves” (an autobiography by a ventriloquist), and “Assassination Vacation”.  My nightly devotion is often immediately followed by mindless comic strip collection books.

As a young reader, and life-long insomniac, I could stay awake all night devouring a good book.  High school reading, on the other hand, was torture due to a mild case of dyslexia.  Required reading never went well because of the strict timeline and the fact that more often than not the chosen book was of little to no interest to me.  Not a fan of the classics, “Watership Down”, for example, was particularly difficult as I simply could not get into a book that used a group of bunnies to illustrate the hardships of communism.  As an adult college student, required reading is still difficult, but I have usually chosen the subject, making task less painful.

The chaos that is my life does not easily lend itself to quiet time for reading or writing.  Time dedicated to such activities is usually restricted to times of waiting for the next demand of schedule – waiting rooms at doctors’ offices, waiting for my children to finish practice, waiting to fall asleep during an insomniac attack – or when anticipated and planned, such as a long bath or on the deck by the fire.

As a writer, I stick to the adage “write what you know”.  I do not so much journal as vent, not so much memoir as decompress.  Most of my writing is personal interpretation of life events, composed with a dash of humor and a pinch of wit.  Though, sometimes I shake up the recipe by substituting a dash of frustration and pinch of spite.  I do not consider myself to be especially creative or unique in idea, so fictional writing has never been of interest.  Life, however, fascinates me, and provides more than ample stranger-than-fiction material.

 Blogging is the outlet for my observations, vents and frustrations, and revelations to be unleashed to the curious reading world.  It is also incredibly therapeutic, as it lets me work through and organize the thoughts swimming around in my head.  When a situation seems to be getting the better of me, constantly nagging and refusing to quiet in my thoughts, blogging lets my mind sort through the jumble and reach some semblance of closure.

Generally, I enjoy reading on my own terms, and writing provides therapy more versatile and less costly than seeing a psychiatrist.

No comments:

Post a Comment