Monday, June 25, 2012

Morning Run as Lesson in Humility

A long-time t-ball and softball player, my career was curtailed in 8th grade when I suffered what we thought was a severely sprained right knee.  I found out 20 years later that I had been misdiagnosed and really suffered from Osgood Schlatters syndrome, a tendon tracking condition in which the knee-cap will slip out of the groove created for it by the junction of the thigh and shin bones.  This condition is not correctable, though there are precautionary measures that can control symptoms.

In my 20's, I was in a physical altercation, and a hard shove resulted in my thigh bone slamming hard against my shin bone, causing the shin bone to split down the middle about 3/4" and crushing cartilage ~ in my left knee.

With 2 bum knees, it has been recommended by more than one physician that I give up running.  Combine this with the fact that I have rotated hips, and running is probably not the best choice of aerobic activity for me.

Yet, I stubbornly keep running.

And here's why.

Our very old, hand-me-down treadmill gave up the ghost this weekend, so until we can afford to replace it we run outside.  This morning, I went to the Westerville Athletic Complex, which has a 1.3(ish) mile paved multi-purpose trail.  One rule I adhere to without fail is that I CANNOT run on concrete, as this will totally blow out my knees, so I look for paved or dirt paths. 

My goal this morning was 3 laps, putting me close to the 4 mile mark.  Very early on in my trek, I made a mental note that this path receives full sun before the evening hours, and was grateful that the day's weather was very mild for June.  Next mental note to self ~ choose direction wisely.  One leg of the loop is tucked against a tree line, which blocks wind.  The leg directly opposite parallels one of Westerville's main drags, making it a virtual wind tunnel.  This morning, I was against the wind.  No worries, I thought, I could use the challenge.

The first 2 laps were great!  I was parched by that point, so I stopped momentarily at the car for a hydration break, and set back to the last loop, feeling already accomplished and determined to finish strong.  By the time I rounded the corner to the aforementioned "wind tunnel", my throat was dry and I was fighting to keep my breathing even.  The knees were holding up great, thanks in part to the Kinesio tape holding the caps in place, but the hip was starting to catch, and the discomfort was doing its best to convince me to slow down and walk the homestretch.

Let the self-pep-talks commence.  "Girl, you did not just run 3+ miles to WALK across the finish line!  You have a strong, healthy body and you can do this.  Just make it to that marker.  Now just make it to THAT marker.  See, you're almost there!"  Finally, I rounded the last turn and convinced myself that this last leg was the shortest.  I had probably done 3.5 miles by that point, so I could walk to the car from here.  NO!  I had not come this far to give up with the finish in sight.

Then I saw him.  In a grassy patch in front of my car, so I couldn't help but see him.  A man in a recumbent bike that was being safety checked by another older man.  I knew immediately that the man in the bike was a paraplegic, and the older man was more than likely his father, helping him set up for a morning ride. 

There I was, feeling the need to convince myself that my legs were strong enough to finish this race, and this man was beginning his own race without the use of legs at all.  As I was arguing with myself to finish strong, the look on this man's face told me that for him, there was no other option.  This man unknowingly was my inspiration to stop the self-pity party and "git r done".

I finished 3.7 miles in 38 minutes, albeit huffing and puffing and with an ache in my hip, but so much stronger and thoroughly blessed for it.  God slammed into me like a ton of bricks this morning, using this man to remind me that in spite of my own very real physical limitations, He has blessed me with a strong body that is really only limited by my state of mind.  Just being on the path this morning, doing something he probably does often enough that it is nothing extraordinary, this man truly blessed me, and had he not looked so determined in his purpose and been wearing ear-buds I would have told him so.  I love it when God uses people without them even knowing it to remind me that as His child I can finish the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment