Sunday, July 29, 2012

Chicken, Anyone?

This will come as news to no one who actually knows me, but I have a very spiteful nature.  I blame it on a combination of Irish-Italian heritage and being a middle child.  The Irish are known for their tempers, the Italian for holding grudges and getting even, and middle children for being screwed up after years of being overlooked.  Sound like anyone you know?

This spiteful nature influences my behavior is ways that I have no desire to correct.  Case in point, it is spite that keeps me from ever wanting to touch the book "50 Shade of Gray".  I am sick to death of hearing about it and seeing it everywhere I turn.  Spite is what keeps me from ever wanting to see "The Avengers" because the hype surrounding its release was stupid crazy.  I point the finger at spite again for having not talked to my dad in 2 years.  (See older blog for that explanation.)

My latest spiteful stance is on this Chick-fil-A hoopla.  And it has nothing to do with the fact that they have come out very vocally opposing same-sex marriage.  Though, I will go on record to say that in this nation, where we have made it such a point to drawn a hard line in the separation of church and state, the majority of our population no longer sees marriage as a covenant before God, but as a legally binding contract.  Thus, same-sex unions should not be a matter for the church to decide.  Why should the church decide who gets to benefit from legal unions?  For decades, the American people have been shoving God and His law out of our government and its law, but all of a sudden it's OK to wield the Bible on this one lone issue?  I don't think so, folks.  Getting off the soap box now and back to the spite.

Admittedly, Chick-fil-A has never been a fast-food joint that is on my radar.  I've known that it is a Christian-run organization, and that aspect did always hold a little appeal for me.  I've just never been all that impressed by their product.  And they're not exactly on every corner like some other places.  Now, with this latest political-announcement-turned-biggest-advertisement-ever, they are on EVERYONE'S radar.  And I am sick to death of hearing about it.  Fine, you publicly announce that you oppose same-sex marriage.  Can we move on now?  Of course, a major role in the dragging out of this hoopla is being played by those advocates FOR same-sex unions.  Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if I'd heard that a Christian couple decided to hold their ceremony inside a Chick-fil-A to show their support while at the same time a homosexual couple had their ceremony in the parking lot to show their protest.  I can't turn around without hearing something about Chick-fil-A.

So, not ever really eating there before, I don't have any more of a desire to eat there now.  But it has nothing to do with my religious or political opinions.  Some of it has to do with my particular tastes for food.  But now, it has so much more to do with spite.

No comments:

Post a Comment